Just a short one from me today to celebrate my little blogs birthday. 5 years old. I remember the day I started it. My school was going through the process of closing down and I needed something, a little project, to keep me going. I loved books and I was forever baking. Thus, booksandbakes1 was born. I’ve never looked back!
I wanted it to be a place for me to talk about the books I loved. I read through my first ever post this morning and it’s still the same for me. I never really expect anyone to read it or reply but I love it when they do. It’s always a surprise to have so many amazing people comment and check in. It’s a really special community.
There are three very special blogging friends, who have been with me since my very first day. Thank you, always.
There’s literally hundreds of blogs I’m inspired by daily. It really does feel like one massive family. I’m really humble to be a small part of it.
My plan for today is to read and maybe bake something. Have a beautiful day everyone!
Big love to you all xx
Filed under Birthday, Blog
Just a quick post from me today to reflect upon my little blog because yesterday, 25th May, it turned four years old! I can’t believe it!
Every year I feel like I say the same thing which must be so boring for you all. I tend to just gush with gratitude and marvel in how amazing this community is. I’m incredibly grateful for the love and kindness I get on here.
However, this year I’d like to share with you a few things I’ve learnt along the way.
- It’s absolutely ok to not post something every day / regularly. I admire people who do this! They’re extremely talented. Personally, sometimes I just don’t want to or I feel like I don’t have anything worthwhile to say or (most likely) I’ve done a 12 hour day at work and I’m about to drag myself home to mark some exercise books. Regardless, I know the community will welcome my next post with open arms when I return. They do it for everyone.
- We can’t all like the same thing. I mainly blog about books, places I’ve visited or a few photos here and there. Whilst this is perfect for me, it may be that I blog about a book / place which you absolutely dislike. That is fine! How boring would the world be if we all liked the same thing?! 🤗
- Offer support back. I mentioned in the first one that the community always welcome you back with open arms, but give something back. Leave them a like, tell them you’re pleased to see them. We’re all behind a screen here so none of us really know how the other is or what insecurities they may be feeling. Reach out to someone new. Make them welcome. I wouldn’t have got this far without the support of some of my fellow bloggers, especially those from the start.
- Have realistic goals. Whether this be for scheduled posts or word counts or number of books, keep it realistic to you. Don’t compare what you’re doing to everyone else. It’s not a competition on here – it’s a network, a community. I’ve never set a target of how many posts or anything like that. For me, my goals are to keep in touch with the bloggers I follow now and post whenever I feel like it. I do have one goal this year and that is to read 100 books. So far, I’m on 42! 😎
- Be kind, always. I know I have flaws. I miss posts that people have spent hours crafting. I forget to check notifications after a long, challenging day at work. None of that matters if you show kindness with it. I apologise (a lot)! I do catch up or try to at least. Inevitably, there will be something people miss. That’s absolutely ok! I’m really really fortunate. In four years I’ve never received any hateful or hurtful comments. This is the place where you can write what you want! Your blog is for you, after all.
That’s it really! But they’re huge lessons to learn and I really value learning them. I want to be a positive support on here, to everyone.
So to start this lovely Sunday, I’m off to celebrate the life of the amazing Judith Kerr now. How many generations have been shaped by her writing?! Such a loss, but what a life! ❤️
Honestly, thank you to each and everyone one of you who have stopped by, commented, liked, and stuck with me over four years. I’ve nothing but love and good feelings for you all! I can’t wait to see what the next four years bring!
Big love all. Xx
Filed under Birthday, Blog